Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Part Two of Three: Thailand

So...now, if you are reading this, you can read a little about my journey in Thailand. I was in Thailand for three weeks and really enjoyed it. The first picture is at Kanchaniburi (Where the Bridge Over The River Kwai is at) and the second picture is on Koh Tao (an island on the east side of Thailand). And the third one is in Bangkok. I put the last one up just for kicks...cause I get a kick out of it when I see it. Anyways...now onto the adventure...enjoy.

So..December 27, 2008 I hopped on a flight at 1:30 am (China Time...which is 11:30 pm Texas Time) and headed for Bangkok...roughly two hours later our flight landed in Bangkok...so we had a hostel booked but it was a pretty good trip from the airport...so we took at taxi...I think its weird that taxis (and fake taxis) are out into the wee hours of the morning. Oh well...it was good for us...The first hostel we stayed at was really really nice...I can not remember the name of it but I really enjoyed it. But we only had one night booked and after that night it was booked...piss...sooooo we headed to Khaosan Road cause there are plenty of places to stay in that area. Khaosan Road is a busy street in Bangkok...its kind of like a flea market...cause you can buy all sorts of junk...and by junk...I mean junk. I did get some Havaianas Flip Flops for 150 Baht (Roughly 5 bucks...34 baht is about 1 dollar) cause I really needed some flip flops...especially since we were gonna be on a Island later in the trip. We stayed in Bangkok for two nights before heading down into Kanchaniburi. Kanchaniburi was a nice little trip, even though there was a lady who was really annoying and complained the whole time...we were on vacation so there was no need in that junk. Anyways...back to the trip...Kanchaniburi is the home to the Bridge On The River Kwai. If you have never heard of this, I encourage you to read the history behind this bridge (or watch the movie). It has some crazy history behind it from World War II. Also, this town is home to Hellfire Pass, another thing from World War II that has crazy history behind it that I encourage you to read about. I had the priviledge of seeing both of these sights and it was really cool. Hellfire pass was cooler to me cause it had some of the original stuff. The bridge though...wasn't the original since it was blown up in WWII. Still..read the history kids. Also...on our trip in Kanchaniburi..I got to ride a bamboo raft (a little lame to me), see a few waterfalls, pet the cutest monkey ever (his name was Todo), and ride and feed an elephant. The after this tour we headed back to Bangkok for a couple more days. Here we just chilled this time...but...it was late one afternoon and I was looking for a good book to read cause I had just finished Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper (good book) and I went down a dark alley thinking it was shorter to the hostel...nope...but...what happens is a lady is yelling at me but I keep walking...she finally catches up with me about 5 minutes later. Here is a little bit of our conversation:
Lady: Hello
Me: Hi
Lady: Want to have sex with me?
Me: Nah, im good
Lady: Ill make ya happy.
Me: Thats ok
Lady: Why you no have sex with me?
Me: Im saving it for my wife
Lady: Whatever, people like sex for fun.
Me: I know, but I am waiting for my wife
Lady: Ok, well I charge 3000 for all night and 1500 short time


Ok thats enough...it got awkward after that point but I did ask why does does what she does and stuff...just small talk trying to lead to a men as tree opportunity...but it died and she went looking for another man....but it was my first time to get solicited for sex...yay go me...anyways...So new years eve we got on a bus around 9:30 pm to go towards Koh Tao....around 11:59 pm..the bus stops for a few seconds to give us a little time to celebrate new year...Soooo...if you are wondering how I brought 2009 in....I was on a bus going to an island..then i went back to sleep at 12:01 new years day....Woke up around 5ish to get off the bus cause we were on the coast. We then waited a couple hours to take a speed boat to Koh Tao....speed boat was a bad idea...I got motion sickness and it wasnt pretty....But...when we got to Koh Tao it was raining. We got a bite to eat first then I went with Joel and Amanda to find a room...we walked around for over an hour in the rain looking for a freakin room...finally found one for 200 baht a night...thankfully...

I was on Koh Tao (which means Turtle Island) for about 2 weeks before going back to mainland Thailand. Our second day, more friends (Steve and Rachael Collins) joined us for the F-U-N. One day I got bored and walked around the island trying to find where my friends (The Collins an d The Porters) were staying...I ended up taking the wrong road so I ended up having to rock climb at the end...and I messed my shoes up pretty bad to so I need to get some new shoes real soon. Sooo...i stayed in the 200 baht rooms for three nights then went across the island to be with the Collins and the Porters. The place they stayed was quite and really pretty. We had some really good snorkeling on this part of the island too. Some some beautiful fish and some cool coral. One day for lunch, Steve and I snorkeled to the next beach over to eat lunch..then snorkeled back...it was a little tiring coming back cause of the waves. But, we stayed at this place four or five nights the went to another place...here The Collins were gonna get their divers certificate which The Porters and myself just chilled...it was a good chill time. Snorkel a few times here but never saw anything good. We rented Kayaks one day to hopefully enjoy some good snorkeling but it was a bust...but we did see some really cool things at the end...kind of hard to explain while typing. I suffered a really bad cut on my left foot one afternoon. Steve and I were snorkeling and we just got back on the beach...the water was high so we werent able to see much of the beach...there was a stump under the water and I stepped on it...it cut me kinda deep...and I had to walk on my toes for a few days...it was painful...but its better now...still not completely healed but better. So...we left the island after two weeks of being on it to head back to the mainland. We too a short speed boat to Koh Samui then a ferry boat to Surathani. Chilled in Surathani for the afternoon until around 1:00 am and took a sleeper train to Hat Yi...the train was awful...not much room to put luggage so I had my bag on my really tiny bed with me...not comfortable and the train was old and the ride was really bumpy...i slept maybe an hour. But we arrived in Hat Yi around 6 or so that morning and then found a bus ride from Hat Yi to Kuala Lumpur...the capital city of Malaysia....which is the last part of my vacation...

Thailand overall was a great trip...some of the most beautiful creation is in Thailand. Also, Thai food is really really good. I had never had it before and in love with it from the first bite. I read 4 books in Thailand...which is really odd for me cause I hate to read...but 4 books in 3 weeks...I think thats really good....anyways...right now its 2:42 am (12:42 pm Texas Time)...and I just got tired...I took at long nap today...but...I hope you enjoyed reading about Thailand...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I was in Thailand. I'm jealous. :)

So everytime I look at a clock, I think about what time it is in China. :) Hope you're having a great week!

miss ya!