Monday, December 15, 2008

Meet my Monday Classes...

I have nine different classes, and I only see each class once a week at two hour intervals. This is my eleventh week of teaching, so I decided that you needed to see my students. So, the three classes about are my Monday classes. The first one is my 8:00-9:50 class, the second is my 10:10-12:00 class, and the last one is my 1:30-3:30 class. All nine of my classes are completely different but each of them are very fun for the most part. My Monday 10:10 class seems to never understand me so I have a hard time getting across to them but they have come through by doing really well on both of the oral examinations. The scores they got blew me away, cause they never talk in class, they never ask questions and are scared to ask questions. Most classes do not ask questions. They will sit there confused and do something wrong before they ask a question. This is because in their other classes, the teachers lecture the entire two hours. There is very little student feedback. In our classes we want to have the students talking and mingling to improve their English. Oh well...hopefully next semester the students will be brave.
Last week we had final exams....wow...my classes did really good on the exam..yeah I had a few students who did not pass but that is normal. But all of my students passed the semester but some of them came very close to having to retake it.
So this week of teaching is a supplemental week. No set lesson to teach the students...but with in being Christmas, I am teaching the meaning of Christmas. I am comparing our Christmas Celebration to the Chinese Spring Festival (Chinese New Year which is on Jan. 26 in China). So please remember me you do that who closing your eyes thing and talking to the man upstairs. Lift me up so that I will be able to remember the important facts that need to be said and I teach a new concept to my students....cause it really is very interesting. Some students say this story is very cool so I hope it might lead to more discussion.

So...my classes have given me gifts for Christmas...which is sad cause I have nothing to give them in return..so in return they have asked me to sing them a song...so I did. I had to do something so I decided to sing Silent Night....they loved it. They will probably never say if I am a bad singer cause this whole country is so generous and accepting of everything. But here are some thing my class has given me. The first picture is a Beijing Opera Silverware set...with American Silverware and Chopsticks...they said they got me this because they know that I love to eat...they listen to every little detail about me. The second picture is a basketball, man scarf, fruit, jello and weird food. On the basketball is a picture of my favorite NBA team...the SAN ANTONIO SPURS....all my student know they I LOVE THE SPURS and that Tim Duncan is my favorite player...so they got me this basketball. Only if I have something in return to give them...but I have roughly 225 students so I would be broke after that...More posts of my students later this week.

Holla

1 comment:

lacy said...

sweet gifts :) i havent gotten anythin haha sometimes i wonder if my students know whats going on.... today one of my classes just realized when they were leaving that it was the last class haha... ive been telling them this the past month, oh well :)
-lacy