Friday, November 14, 2008

Kid Castle

So I started a new job this Tuesday teaching English to children ages 5-12. The first day was a blast and went very smooth. When I teach the small child I am given flashcards to help the kids learn letters, numbers and pictures. When I teach the older kids I do not use flashcards. On Tuesday I taught the 5-7 year old children the numbers 15-19, meal names and a few other things. I taught the 8-10 year old kids a few fruits but how to initiate and end a conversation with a friend in English. For example:
Kid 1: Hello Kerry
Kid 2: Hey Korey
Kid 1: How are doing doing?
Kid 2: I'm fine. How are you?
Kid 1: I'm doing great. Thank you.
Kid 2: OK see you
Kid 1: See you later

On today (Friday) I taught the 5-7 year old kids the letters x, y and z and also box, yo-yo and zoo. For the 8-10 year old kids I was asked to tell the stories the whole time. Do not forget the classes are 40 minute long...well it is not that long but I had to tell different stories for 40 minutes. Kids can not sit still and listen for 40 minutes. So they talked and I did not let it bother me. I told the store of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, My trip from Texas to Sias, Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs. I have not heard to told those stories in years so I was trying to drag them out as long as possible. Oh well. So I told stories for about 35 minutes and after wards the guy who would help me/translate for me told me to play a game using the stories. Seriously? I had to make up a game on the spot for these kids to answer questions when only one or two might have listened to me...or maybe three. So a ball rolled and hit me in the foot so I picked it up to put it back...NO...I used the ball for my game...I had the kids sit in a circle and I would ask a question then I would toss the ball to one of the students and they would answer. So glad that ball rolled out. It was lame but it got the job done.

Tomorrow I am going shopping with many of the teachers here at Sias at Zhengzhou. Zhengzhou is maybe an hour away from Sias but I need to buy a few things. I want to buy a few beanies since I left mine in Center, Texas like an idiot. Oh well. Hopefully I can can find some nice/cool beanies tomorrow and also to eat some good food.

Anyways...it is 1:46 am here on Saturday morning so I am going to try and get some sleep...oh yeah...tonight is the last night if will be cold inside my room. Our heat gets turned on tomorrow so it should be a wonderful day. We are doing a progressive housewarming party tomorrow night and some people have volunteered to make food and host things in their room while some just go around and check things out and eat some food. I am one of the ones just chilling going to check things out. It should be fun....

No comments: