Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Time with students usually means laughter

I have only one class on Tuesday at 8:00...my favorite class by far. They are funny, they get my humor and everyone of the participate...well maybe one or two will slack off...but they are by far my best. After class this morning some students wanted to come visit. They made an appointment yesterday for today at 10:00. I enjoy meeting with big groups of students as opposed to just two or three. It is a lot more fun and it opens up more conversation. Yes in a large group there are still those who do not talk and just sit back and watch and occasionally laugh but the fact they are understanding what I say (or so I think) makes my day so much better. Today, I thought there would be a mixed gender group....boy was I wrong. Only girls today...nice of them to be exact. Well eight because one of them showed the others my room and then left. But eight girls and me...I would have thought it would be really odd to try and entertain these girls for however long they would stay. It was the opposite...it was very easy. I always get this question..."Teacher..do you have a gf?" So I tell them.."No..I do not have a girlfriend." Today I got this reply, "Teacher, we are all single."....How the crap do I reply to that??? Oh well...we moved. We talked about normal things...culture, food my family. My students love to talk about my neice. I also love to talk about her too. I have pictures that I show them and they love to look at them and laugh. I think it is my favorite topic with my students.

I had lunch with some students today...one student was mine and one was my friend Heathers. They took me to this noodle place. It was very good. I was impressed with the stuff we talked about. In fact...after we ate I wanted to buy a China flag to hang in my room...we found a flag but they were asking way too much for it...30 yuan for a flag that looked awful...the students tried to bargain for me but they would not go down...oh well..then we walked back to SIAS. On the way back one of the girls started singing Amazing Love....I was shocked. She then started talking about that song and how she had no idea what it meant. But the thing is...she downloaded it on her computer. (If you don't know the words to Amazing Love please look them up) But anyways...I told her about the meaning of the song and how we as believers view the song. She then told me they she, along with the other student does not believe in Jsus or Bdda h...but the fact that she began to sing that song opened up a door for me to kind of step into. So, her singing Amazing Love allowed me to do a little bit of menistree...

I just wanted to tell you that story because I thought it was really cool...anyways..I know I misspelled words in this thing....It was intentional...I will try and get some pictures of these students up asap

2 comments:

a-faye said...

Hello Friend!

Seems like you are having a blast over there! I can't wait until I graduate and finally get to teach, well not in China, but you know. You better bring me back some kick-ass souvenirs!!

Amanda

Summertime said...

wow,
i am so excited that you are really living this dream. You're students sound amazing and you sound like you are having a blast! I'm so glad that those girls are so interested in you... I mean you're teaching skills! lol
I hope that those girls and all of those students that you come in contact with allow you to share you're heart with them and I can't wait to hear more stories!

Summer