Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Jet lagging stinks...my writings from DFW to Sias University

DFW:

Soooo is 6:36 p.m. on September 22, 2008 and what am I doing? I am eating at McDonalds at the DFW Airport. My trip, originally scheduled for 6:55 (15 minutes from now), was running about two hours late. I was scheduled for Frontier Airlines and they transferred me to United Airlines for no cost. Awesome, so I get my boarding pass and receipts and go through the security stuff, I am stopped. I did not know that liquid items (soap, body wash, etc) had to be 3 ounces or less. Freakin fabulous….so I had to go back to the desk and check in my bag. It could be worse I guess. Frontier allows the first checked bag free of charge, but United charges 15 dollars for the first game then 25 dollars for the second. I then get that taken care of and I am going back through security. Guess who get selected for a random search, yes, yours truly. I didn’t have a clue what was going on. But they guy searching me was cool about it and asking where I got some of the stuff in my laptop bag. It wasn’t too bad, I am just glad that they do random searches. But I am going to finish my dinner now and wait patiently for my flight which is now at 7:47 and is a direct flight to LA, which is good because my flight to LA with Frontier was going to have an hour and a half layover in Denver. So it’s all good I guess.

LA:

So it is 11:07 p.m. right now here at LAX, which means in Texas it is 1:07. I am not tired yet but I am sure when my plane leaves at 1:40 a.m LAX time I will be ready for some sleep. So the McDonalds I had at DFW may have been the best McDonalds I have ever tasted. I had a Big Mac Meal and I was really impressed. Anyways, I just went through security and lucky me, I did not have to do a search this time. Bummer. I absolutely loved my flight from DFW to LAX. Real smooth, really fast, friendly service, but most importantly a really really really sweet young lady that sat beside me. It is really weird because I saw her when I was eating my McDonalds and something told me there was something bothering her and I felt as if she just might be the person who will be seated next to me. I felt weird at first because I was thinking there was no one that what I was thinking while I was enjoying my delicious Big Mac was actually happened. She kind of opened up to me and I just listened. Her dreams and goals are absolutely amazing. I will never forget the stories she told me. TK, if you are reading this, when I landed at LAX I saw a free magazine with Joe Torre on the cover so I got you one. For those of you who don’t know, TK is a fan of the Dodgers so I gotta get a little something something for my dawg. So I have two hours until my flight starts boarding so I think here shortly I will go check out these stores and check out what they have to sell. I got a few pictures at LAX that I thought were cool little things. I should have picked up a word find or crossword puzzle book before I left. Oh well, I really am in deep though t right now about some of the things me and my seating buddy discussed and talked about. One thing she said was really funny that she kind of joked about doing, but I think if she did this then it would be absolutely amazing. But anyways, I want to you remember the Tiffany Limos.

Beijing:

So about 5:45 I landed in Beijing, the capital city of China. While waiting for our next flight me and Greg, a guy also here to teach as Sias University, were sitting in a Tea House at the Beijing Airport. We spent 480 RBM on Tea but it might be the best Hot Tea I have ever tasted, well by far than the Tea we had on the plane. But that equals out to be about 80.00 in America so we kind of were not paying attention to what we were getting ourselves into. Oh well, I enjoyed it and so did Greg so I guess it’s all good. The flight took forever. Kind of a weird route cause we fly up and went over Alaska and flew over Russia and finally coming to China. If you think about the fastest way between two points it is a straight line, but with the earth rotating on its axis, then the flight was a straight flight. Oh well, that was dumb information so I hope you understood that. But, at 12:00 here we are catching another flight from Beijing to Zhengzou which is about thirty minutes from Sias University. So for breakfast I had Chicken Wings, yes, Chicken Wings. These did not taste like American wings though, but they were still pretty good. The nationals here are very friendly. I dropped my computer bag and one of the workers at the Irish Pub, the place that I had the Wings, picked it up for me before I could bend over and get it myself. When we were leaving the Tea House, the workers picked our stuff up and handed it to us as we left. Out host/waitress at the Tea House taught us a few things to say in Chinese. I don’t want to mess things up so I will wait to write Chinese until I can speak it/spell it. This airport is astonishing and amazingly beautiful. I was told LAX is like a small town, but LAX has nothing on the airport in Beijing. Anyways, I am out for now.

Zhengzou to Sias Univeristy
So I am sitting in my apartment right now wanting to go to sleep really bad right now. Here it is almost time for dinner but in Texas it is 3:29 a.m. The flight from Beijing to here was really smooth, got some cool pictures of some clouds and the view from up there, in fact I got cool pictures from all the flights and they will all be added to facebook and myspace as soon as possible. Upon arriving at Sias, I have been meeting the staff I will be working with here and some of the students. Freshman orientation begins tomorrow and we have a trip to Xi’an next week I believe Xi’an is where the Terra Cotta Warriors are. If you don’t know what the Terra Cotta Warriors are then you need to read a world history book. Well it is time for me to finish setting up my room. A guy I will be working with just got my internet working so I thought I would post what I have been writing for the last oh 30+ hours.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW KERRY!!! It sounds like you've had quite a trip!! I am so looking forward to hearing about your days in China!!! :)
-Jenn

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous. But, I wish you all the luck there!

Beccaboo06 said...

Wow! It sounds to me that you had an amazing trip over all. I am so happy for you! i remember talking to you a few months ago about you possibly teaching over seas. Im so happy that you saw it through. It has to be so cool. Maybe after i get my degree i could put some thought into doing something like that! it sounds like so much fun! Well i cant wait to hear more about your expierence in China!

~Becca

Natural-Nesters said...

kerry this is so awesome! i know you will love it there...but i know that flight is so long! and jet lag does suck!! ugh hopefully you will have a couple of days to just chill, rest, and adjust to the time!